I’m all in favor of routines that produce a healthier mind, body and soul. I think one should have a morning routine and a nighttime routine. With all the thoughts the brain has to process daily, it seems like a good idea to get into the routine of quieting the mind before bedtime and doing all those things which make us feel comfortable and whole in preparation for a new day.
Emilio and I moved into a new apartment a few months back and it has been my mission to buy only those things which truly make us happy in our new home. When decorating the bedroom I wanted to purchase essential items that would help us feel our best and help us get into a bedtime routine that would replenish the mind, body and soul leaving us feeling our best.
I think taking the time out for a self-care routine before getting any shut eye is important. It helps to de-stress the mind, unwind and regroup. It helps to charge your mental battery so that you can reflect, refocus and have 100% to give the next day.
I think small changes to our environment and routine help in giving us the peace we need. Here is a list of 5 changes I’ve made to begin and end my day feeling my best.
1. LUXURY SHEETS – I cannot tell you enough how amazing good sheets feel! The feeling of being wrapped in luxury linen sheets makes me feel like a million bucks. I go to bed and wake up feeling my best – feeling overall GOOD. My Parachute Home Linen Sheets were the best decision I’ve made in a long time. I feel like an adult (finally) and I feel like I’m finally getting the sleep I deserve after a long workday. Invest in good sheets! They will change your life.
2. QUALITY MATTRESS – MAN OH MAN does it pay to have a good mattress. My Yaasa Studios mattress is another great decision that Emilio and I made. I feel like I’ve had a sleep in the clouds and wake up feeling as refreshed as ever ready to take on a new day. Yaasa Studios is a company that I adore – their mattresses are made local here in Los Angeles, CA which I am super into! They focus on individual comfort and wellness and use materials that provide support, breathability and temperature control. They are a wholesome company that believes in well being – yes to that. They also have some beautiful candles (sandalwood being my favorite) that I like to have next to my bed.
3. A POWERFUL BOOK – My day is never fully complete if I haven’t read. Even if all I have time for is a few pages at night, I need to fuel my mind. Currently I’m reading The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire by Deepak Chopra (a Christmas gift from my brother). It helps me re-shape my mind and refocus my energy. I love to underline and highlight in my books. If there’s ever a day that gets ahead of me, I know that the least I can do is skim my highlights for some much needed inspiration and refocus. I think spending your evenings or mornings diving into a few pages of a book helps align you with your vision. Find a book that is powerful and inspiring and helps lift you up, empower you and change your perceptions and perspectives.
4. AFFIRMATIONS – Having a small list of affirmations by your bedside will help remind you of those things which are true – which at our core ARE TRUE. We need to believe these things. Sometimes it’s just hard to believe. You’ve had a crappy day and believing in yourself is so far out of reach. This is when a list helps! Even if there’s just a few affirmations on there, remind yourself what is true and repeat it. Fall asleep to it and wake up to it. Leave a sticky note on your mirror or at your desk reminding you of affirmations close to your heart that quickly help to shift your mindset. I have a long list of quotes and affirmations on my notes section on my phone – I started typing these in when I first moved to NYC in 2007. I would ride the train and read my books and underline. I wanted to put all of the words that spoke to me somewhere where I could easily access them when I felt down or when I felt I was loosing hope. I still have this running list ten years later. It quickly helps inspire me and remind me of my truths.
5. ESSENTIAL OILS – The best I feel is when I take off all of my makeup after a long day and put on my favorite skin care oils. The hydration, the smell, the calm is a moment I take in. It feels so good. Oils for the skin are one of the best things you can do. I love using rosehip oil for my face and coconut oil for my hair and skin. Currently I’m using the Elemis Superfood Facial Oil (includes broccoli, flax seed, daikon radish, rosehip, cucumber) – I love it! Oils are such an important step during my nighttime routine – I think the process of application really helps unwind my mind and body and get me into a calmer state. I also have a diffuser next to my bed which I use essential oils for. Lately I’ve been using geranium rose and frankincense oils. This helps to freshen the room and improve air quality for a better nights sleep.